I’ve chosen to start the New Year with the Preamble of the United States Constitution. The full text is:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
I bring this up for two reasons. First, I want this to be a reminder of the founding principles of our nation. These radical and downright revolutionary ideas at the time were what our founders created to lead this new country into the future and serve as the basis for all that would follow. Second, with this in mind, 2016 will likely see some of the most serious attacks on US citizens individual and collective rights witnessed in modern times.
At the national level we’ve already seen a taste of what is to come:
• Our President threatening to circumvent congress and legislate through executive orders by requiring NICS background checks utilize the non-due process No Fly List for firearms purchases, mandating universal background checks and firearms registration, reclassifying individual sellers as firearms dealers and banning certain types of ammunition.
• A new and expanded version of the ‘Assault Weapons’ ban.
• Presidential candidates jockeying to see who can come up with the most restrictive gun control scheme including Australian-style gun buyback/confiscations and ‘Assault Weapons’ bans.
On the state level, we’ve seen:
• New York’s ammunition proposal to limit individual purchases to two (2) times the maximum capacity & caliber of their registered firearms every 90 days.
• Connecticut’s Governor’s Executive Order to run state firearm purchases through the No Fly List.
• California’s Lt Governor’s 2018 Gubernatorial campaign/ 2016 Ballot Initiative to require permits and point-of-sale background checks for in-state only ammunition purchases and outlawing all pre-ban standard capacity magazines.
On the local level, we’ve seen:
• Highland Park, Illinois banning so-called ‘Assault Weapons’ and standard capacity magazines.
• Various municipalities outlawing all pre-ban standard capacity magazines, bans of self-defense ammo, mandatory in-home storage laws and zoning firearms and ammunition retailers out of existence.
What’s worse, the list above is just the starting point. Inspired by recent case rejections from the US Supreme Court; states, counties and municipalities around the country are emboldened to push their own restrictive agendas. Will any of these measures do anything to prevent violence? No, of course not. All they do is further erode honest, law abiding citizen rights and their ability to protect themselves and their families from those who don’t obey the law in the first place.
Does it have to be this way? NO! But it’s going to take a concerted effort by ALL responsible firearms owners to stop it. It’s going to take everyone’s voices and votes.
If you’ve never been involved before, 2016 will be the year to be heard. It is understandable to want to stay below the radar and not get on someone’s list, especially for those of us in a restrictive and downright vindictive state like California. Well, I’ve got some bad news for you. If you own a firearm, you’re already on the list – and that legal ownership you enjoy today may not last for long.
If you haven’t joined the NRA or your state affiliate organization, now is the time. If you haven’t donated to the organizations fighting to stop these new constitutional infringements, now is the time. If you haven’t written to your representatives at the local, state and federal level to tell them these attacks on our Constitutional rights is unacceptable, now is the time.
2015 saw record numbers of citizens around the country exercising their Second Amendment rights and purchasing firearms, many of them for the very first time. Imagine the power of that many people saying NO to new gun control laws in their communities, in their states and in the nation. Imagine the power of We The People.
#oddstuffing #wethepeople #2ndamendment #2016